Thursday, October 4, 2012

Life Lessons From Dad: Love

Continuing with my little life lessons for you, I'm going to try my best to convey the message of Love.  Love is probably the greatest emotion, feeling, and act that we can experience.  Love can also be very complex and confusing.  I'll save the birds and bees kind of love for when you're older but, I thought I would try to summarize in general what the act or meaning of Love is the best that I can.

Lesson 2: Love

The most important thing that we can do in this world is Love.  Love comes in a variety of forms and intensities ranging from the Love of an object or activity to more personal forms of Love such as the Love of ones self, Love between a friend or family member, or intimate, romantic Love between two people.  Whatever form, Love can be summed up as kindness, respect, and compassion for all people and creatures. Unfortunately, as you grow older you may experience times where it will be hard to Love and easier to show anger or to be hurtful towards others.  You may also meet people who are not Loving towards you or other people.  Always remember that each and every one of us deserve to be Loved as we are all God's creatures.  Not a single one of us is above the other and doesn't deserved to be Loved.  Love your neighbors, Love your enemies, Love all creatures big and small for who and what they are.  If you can do this at all times, even when it is difficult, then you will be a messenger of Love. You can never know just how much an unkind word or action may negatively affect someone so always act with Love.  If you strive to Love when it is much easier to do everything but, you will help make this a more peaceful world and you will be spreading and sharing the joy of Love with others.  Love will help you remain positive.  Love can build and mend relationships.  Love can brighten someones day.  Love can influence and encourage.  Love can open up new doors, paths, and possibilities.  Always Love.

I know that there have been times where I have not succeeded in following this advice, again, I am not perfect, no one is.  There are many times when I let hurt and anger drive my responses and influence my decisions and that caused hurt for myself and others around me.  I encourage you to try your best to Love, even when it is hard to do so.  I'll close with a Bible passage which I feel does a much better job at summarizing what Love is and how we should all treat each other. 

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8, 13

New International Version (NIV)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails...  
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


No comments:

Post a Comment